Jagex Caved (Runescape 2007)

Official SoC Branch for Runescape. Jagex forum thread
10 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/a= ... e-you-vote

It seems that jagex has finally caved to all of the whiny, nostalgic babies who seem to think they know everything about runescape and how it should work.*

Starting this friday there will be a poll in order to bring back some old servers based on the August 2007 version of the game (essentially the game right before the grand exchange was added).
I for one am not happy about this as I feel it is very weak and pathetic on Jagex's part.
When the game was updated with the evolution of combat they held a strong stance that they would not do something like this.
Now, due to what seems to be a perceived "loss of players, income, and interest" Jagex is going to bring it back.
I honestly feel that this is a waste of time and that it is going to end up just like runescape classic (a small playerbase and extremely dull after you get over nostalgia).
That being said there is no guarantee this will pass and if it does pass I hope it is in the form of one of the lower tiered options where people have to pay to use these servers.

Overall I don't have a problem with these servers existing, but I do have a problem with Jagex giving in like this.
If the game in it's current state is not good enough to stand on it's own then they should let the game die and move on.
The current version of the game has improved upon the old version in every way. Hosting a server that uses an old version is like playing a single player game without patches/updates.
I mean sure it might be fun/interesting to relive a game as it used to be for a few minutes but ultimately it becomes obvious that the game just wasn't as good in the previous state.
For once, I won't be defending Jagex. I am disappointed.

*Note: I am not saying that anyone that complained about the updates or desired to have the old runescape back is like this, but rather that a vocal portion of the community acted in this manner for some time before and after the evolution of combat update. Unfortunately a lot of the runescape community fails to give quality, well thought out feedback that explains things using anything other than their own opinions.

Post your own thoughts and opinions below.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ell

This thing is going to have a HUGE bang in activity initially, but after a few months it’s probably going to quickly fade as people get bored with an older version of the game. I have to commend Jagex for meeting this request though. Other MMOs, like wow, would never do something like this.

It looks interesting. I will have to try it out!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Djp49
Branch Leader

Honestly this isn't a bad idea. Jagex already has the code for it, and when/if the nostalgia wears off, they can just shut it down. It's not like they have to make it all over again from scratch- the only costs will be maintenance and security. There's an 06-themed private server that I played on briefly called Project RS 06- it's been up since late last October and started with less than a hundred people. Right now it's going strong and has over 15,000 people online at any given time. I started playing on like January 3rd or right around that time when it was around 800-something on at any given time, and it's grown tons in only a little more than a month.

Main problems I can think of for Jagex:
- Many private server folks would stay on their servers (perhaps unless Jagex shut them down)- especially if they've put lots of time and effort into them and don't feel like starting over again.
- Membership. If the membership system is the same as it was in 07, then it's pay $5+ to get access to member stuff vs. private servers like Project RS 06 which give you nearly everything (mem and non-mem)for free and are on a "donation" system. Not to mention the fact that there may be an additional cost to the membership fee depending on the poll results (who would pay $20+ for this?).
- Seems to me like many people favored early 2006 compared to any time after that, so some will probably stick with a private server with an earlier version instead of going to a later version of the game.

Had Jagex done this 6 months sooner, I think it would be immensely popular and lucrative- but now they're going to have some competition from at least one other place. Unless there are 750,000+ votes, I think it's going to struggle a lot.

Advantages Jagex has:
- Jagex has the complete code for everything, and Project RS 06 still has a lot missing.
- No potential security issues or other vulnerabilities commonly associated with private servers.

May post more stuff later, but I gotta go.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ell

}SoC{Djp49 wrote:
Honestly this isn't a bad idea. Jagex already has the code for it, and when/if the nostalgia wears off, they can just shut it down. It's not like they have to make it all over again from scratch- the only costs will be maintenance and security. There's an 06-themed private server that I played on briefly called Project RS 06- it's been up since late last October and started with less than a hundred people. Right now it's going strong and has over 15,000 people online at any given time. I started playing on like January 3rd or right around that time when it was around 800-something on at any given time, and it's grown tons in only a little more than a month.

Main problems I can think of for Jagex:
- Many private server folks would stay on their servers (perhaps unless Jagex shut them down)- especially if they've put lots of time and effort into them and don't feel like starting over again.
- Membership. If the membership system is the same as it was in 07, then it's pay $5+ to get access to member stuff vs. private servers like Project RS 06 which give you nearly everything (mem and non-mem)for free and are on a "donation" system. Not to mention the fact that there may be an additional cost to the membership fee depending on the poll results (who would pay $20+ for this?).
- Seems to me like many people favored early 2006 compared to any time after that, so some will probably stick with a private server with an earlier version instead of going to a later version of the game.

Had Jagex done this 6 months sooner, I think it would be immensely popular and lucrative- but now they're going to have some competition from at least one other place. Unless there are 750,000+ votes, I think it's going to struggle a lot.

Advantages Jagex has:
- Jagex has the complete code for everything, and Project RS 06 still has a lot missing.
- No potential security issues or other vulnerabilities commonly associated with private servers.

May post more stuff later, but I gotta go.
I think after they release it, Jagex will go after these private servers more aggressively. They will be shutdown one by one just like 2006scape. Even if they don't get a legal order to shut the all private server down, people are more likely to leave the the private servers and go to the official Jagex throwback servers. Private servers have many risks such as viruses or other malicious software which a Jagex server wouldn't have.

Like I said in an older thread dj, I am urging you against playing on these private servers as they are both illegal and dangerous.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

Every private server ever for runescape has failed, regardless of the player base it gained. The main reason? It's not official.
No matter how much you offer for free that the official servers don't most people will always prefer the official servers due to there being less risk across the board.

As far as 2006 being more popular I've never been given solid evidence as to why this particular time in runescape history was "the best" or is "the most loved".
Probably because neither of those things are true and someone arbitrarily chose an old date.
A private server doesn't count as an "earlier version" because technically it is just a customized (stolen) version of the original game.
Often times private servers have features the original game didn't which also makes them not an "older version".

I also feel like most people who quit were done with runescape anyways. I mean if your whole runescape "life" is centered around point and click combat mechanics then it's probably time to quit.

People would not have to start over, jagex is basically restoring it from a backup (if it happens). So your character would be as it was in August 2007. If I am reading the post right.

This may be a "good idea" but it still is jagex going directly against something they previously said, rather than changing their minds about something and then doing it in a way that doesn't really go against what was said previously.
I also don't understand why they are doing what seems like it will be another Yes/no vote. They previously stated that these don't really tell them anything (as evidenced by the wilderness/ free trade vote).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Djp49
Branch Leader

}SoC{Ell wrote:
I think after they release it, Jagex will go after these private servers more aggressively. They will be shutdown one by one just like 2006scape. Even if they don't get a legal order to shut the all private server down, people are more likely to leave the the private servers and go to the official Jagex throwback servers. Private servers have many risks such as viruses or other malicious software which a Jagex server wouldn't have.

Like I said in an older thread dj, I am urging you against playing on these private servers as they are both illegal and dangerous.
I know. Note that I said that I "briefly" played on it. The insecurity situation is part of the reason why I stopped playing it.

@Arrow-

I gotcha'. From what I personally saw, it seemed to me like most people playing on those servers either don't know about the risks, don't care, or think they're miniscule. A number will probably switch over to the Jagex vintage server, but based on personal observations, it seems like another number won't. That is, unless Jagex shuts that one down too, which wouldn't surprise me.

I think that "proving" that one era was better than the next is missing the point. Many people started playing around 05 and 06, and so it doesn't matter whether the game was "better" later or not- it's often sentimental value that drives it home with people. For them, it's "better" simply because those were the "good ol' days" for them. At any rate, this is again based on my personal observations, which admittedly don't cover the whole of the RS community. What I know is that everyone that I talked to or saw talking with someone else about this topic on that server pretty much said the same thing. Does this cover the whole of the community? No- this is just what I saw.

This server was basically like 06scape- duplicated Runescape in 2006 as close as possible. With all due respect, since I played it and you haven't, I think I know a little bit more about how they're doing it. There are some servers that are definitely different, but this game was not customized at all. Stolen? Yes. Customized? No.

I can see your point, but many players are used to point-and-click combat and not everyone wants to adjust to a change like that. Perhaps that's unreasonable, but it's the truth.

Ah. I looked over the article but I didn't see that. That's good.

Well, this isn't the first time they did that. It was a lot like that with removing the wildy and free trade in the first place. In both cases, a number of players wanted it back and so they decided that it was prudent to conform to what the players wanted.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Djp49
Branch Leader

I go onto the website to vote...

THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST

However this is a members only vote

To participate and join our members community click on the link below.

Remember - by becoming a member you’ll gain access to a whole host of exclusive perks and amazing members-only content. Over 160 extra quests, 9 formidable skills, 20 awesome minigames and so much more!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

That is actually encouraging because it means that all the people who rage quit because they "don't like the game anymore and jagex ruined it" have to actually pay and commit to playing now.
It also probably means that it won't get enough support to be completely free of charge, unless people actually fall for all of the "just let us have it even if you don't want it" pressures certain community members have been putting out.

If nothing else I'm happy that Jagex is only allowing invested, "active" members of the community to vote on this.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Djp49
Branch Leader

I suppose that you're right- though some non-members are committed players yet for one reason or another can't get membership. Probably not enough people to sway the vote though, and you won't have as many problems with bots this way. We'll see how the vote goes- it seems to be climbing a steady rate and it'll be up for a little more than a week more. Hopefully that's enough time to get over 500k votes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

The results are in, and despite not reaching 500,00 votes Jagex decided to make 2007 free for members for at least the first 6 months, based entirely on how active the community is after that 6 month period.

http://services.runescape.com/m=poll/a= ... 007-server

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
10 posts Page 1 of 1