Evolution of Combat Lauches November 20th

Official SoC Branch for Runescape. Jagex forum thread
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

Everything is about to change, for the better.
There are tons of people whining on the forums about how they want and pull, arguing over which side is making up random statistics, and whether or not people actually want this change or not.
I personally cannot wait for this change.
Although I will be disappointed to see special attacks go away, the efficiency and control the new system adds is really satisfying.
No more click and wait. No more needless mouse movements, trying to decide which interface you should have open, or overly unnecessary mouse clicks.
If you have ever tried runescape and didn't like it, or took a break from it for awhile, November 20th would be the time to give it another shot.

Read all about the update: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/ev ... h-november

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{GodsGameFreak
Guardian

Hm, I might try it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Lyfe

I am quiting rs when eoc goes live. I do not want to play world of warcraft. I want to play the game I loved growing up. If you ask me, evolution of combat was not meeded. As the ability bar is confusing. I do not want to relearn how to play and learn combinations on the keyboard. Point and click is how it should remain. Jagex statistics are terrible how they say 80% of the players want it when in Fact only 20% actually said yes to it. 80% were either no or needs more improvent. The survey they had on the beta was widely biased with out of 5 responses only one was "i dont like it" if they wanted a true poll they would have put a poll on the main page either having the choice of yes or the choice of no. That is how they should have done it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

First of all the evolution of combat is NOTHING like world of warcraft.
The ability bar is simplistic and really easy to learn how to use. If you had played the beta at all you would have learned about it in minutes.
Being able to put almost any function I could do through moving and then click the mouse on the ability bar is way easier.
You can bind things on the ability bar to any key you want. So if for some reason you don't like the setup you have nearly unlimited customization options.
That being said all the point and click functions are still there, even in combat see: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/ev ... ey-results.

The game you loved playing growing up has changed an evolved overtime. While you may have found memories of it, even in a previous state, you are blinded by nostalgia glasses.
If they game were to return to how it used to be say..6 years ago you wouldn't enjoy it for more than a week. As much as you enjoyed it then and have found memories of it the game has changed so much that the old system is inefficient out-dated and simply not as good as the current one. I believe that if you actually gave the evolution of combat a chance and didn't dismiss it as "ruining the game" you would actually enjoy it and much prefer it over the old system.

As far as their statistics go, they are perfectly valid. just under 20% of players said they didn't like it FOR COMBAT PURPOSES. 15% said that it was ok but needs improvement. If people say that something works but needs improvement that is a positive response. It indicates that they do not hate the system and are definitely willing to work with it. Jagex has definitely improved the system since they first went into beta and will definitely keep doing this. believe it or not Jagex does actually listen to the community. Of course you are more likely to be heard if you present something in a well organized, well thought out, intelligent manner, instead of screaming "I don't like this and neither does anyone else [insert made up statistic here]".

Having a poll on the main page with only a choice of Yes or No is too simple. I believe that jagex learned from the last poll they did like this, involving free trade and the wilderness. When all you do is ask a yes or no question it is going to be weighted heavily on one side if their are good enough incentives. With the free trade and wilderness poll there was no option to indicate you only wanted free trade or only wanted the wilderness. I am certain that a good number of people who voted yes may have wanted one but not the other but were willing to compromise in order to get what they wanted. This poll was also different in that it was content jagex had already put into the game previously and was a poll to reintroduce it. With the evolution of combat Jagex has put a lot of time, money, and energy into creating it in order to improve the game and future proof it. You don't ask Jagex to put up a poll every time they announce new content, so why should they have to put one up for the evolution of combat? And no, you cannot argue that because this is so "game changing" it should be voted on. Plenty of new content has been released in the past that was game changing. From things like adding curses or new weapons to things like adding the grand exchange to the game.
The poll Jagex released within the combat beta wasn't to determine if they should actually add it to the game or not, it was to determine if the content was ready. The results clearly indicate that the content is more or less ready to go live. even if it does cause problems once it goes live I firmly believe Jagex will do whatever it takes to smooth everything out.

All of that being said if you are the kind of player who is unwilling to adapt for a game you love, unwilling to learn (despite your supposed confusion) for a game you love, and unwilling to trust in the company who makes the game you love then i definitely urge you to quit. I would also say that you have been playing the wrong game. Runescape has always been consistently updated in order to remain current. Unlike a game like World of Warcraft where they might create a new area or update the textures, Runescape has gone through multiple engine changes, total graphics over-halls, has additional content added monthly, and is always focused on remaining competitive with the current game market. Not only has runescape been around longer than World of Warcraft it has changed more. It went from a simplistic 2D game with only a few skills to a full 3D game with a good number of skills and a much larger world than it started with.

I honestly do not believe Jagex is as blind as people seem to say they are. If Jagex really thought that a large portion of plays would quit if they released this content, they wouldn't release it.
Jagex isn't stupid and if they have managed to keep their company alive this long, I'm sure they know what they are doing and will do the right thing. I believe in jagex and believe in the direction they are taking the game. Sure I'm not entirely happy there will not be special attacks anymore and that protection prayers only soak 50% damage instead of make you invincible, but I also feel all the new additions balance this out well and that I will figure it out. I can't wait to see where runescape goes after this update and hope that it continues to be updated and improved so that I can play it for years to come.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
4 posts Page 1 of 1