Retirement?

Official SoC Branch for Runescape. Jagex forum thread
11 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
Ell

It’s been a little over a month since any posts in this section. I can’t help but notice, but most of the Runescape branch members have left or canceled their subscription and there isn’t any branch officer or branch leader that has a current subscription. I also noticed that no one put Runescape down as a game they currently play in the game roll call thread (in members only). Is there anyone left that still plays? I know it was pretty active when you guys were doing the project GIA thing. Do you think it is time to retire the branch?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Justice
Clan Member

I still play every once in a while but Djp is the only other member I've seen on.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ell

I know one or two people still play, but they aren't involved with the branch anymore.

Khayyal, I thought you weren't in the in-game clan. I looked and I was unable to find you.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

I didn't put it in the games you are interested in playing thread because its purpose is to find new games people are interested in (and stated as such in my original post). I still do have an active runescape subscription i just don't get on nearly as much as I used to because I don't have anywhere near the amount of time I used to have. I really don't think retirement should even be discussed until summer when it's easier to determine whether or not the branch is truly dead. I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind a few times but I think it's a little too soon to make an accurate judgement.

If it doesn't pick up again during the summer then I'll make more of an official call then. And maybe do a sort of "last hurrah event".

I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on the current state of the branch and whether or not it is worth trying to preserve. If people really don't think it isn't going anywhere anymore and have completely lost interest then I'll put this "poor old dog to rest". It would be hard to see it go since I helped raise it from a "puppy" but if I'll that's happening by allowing it to continue to live at this point is that more harm is being caused then I'll let it go and focus my efforts elsewhere.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Djp49
Branch Leader

Yes, this thought has crossed my mind. Here is what's currently going on generally:

1. Many of the leaders/officers are currently busy with life, which is more than okay. I am often the only one who still plays regularly, except in the case of step 3.
2. Trying to handle it by myself, it gets difficult because I can't be on as much due to school and most of the time no one shows up at planned events.
3. Sometimes I go into a Runescape burnout (kind of on one now), and that means that until I am back into it there are no leaders there to hold down the fort.

There you have it. I remember Kirandio suggesting before that ideally we should have many more leaders and do some sort of rotational cycle, with 2 or 3 of them leading for a time while the others from the previous cycle are busy with life/are on a burnout, and keeping that going so that all the bases would be covered if some people go inactive for a time. This would be great, but it would be rather difficult to do. Runescape is still my traditional game, but I can't play it all the time.

I think Arrow is right about waiting until Summer. I'll have more time, Arrow will have more time, a lot of people will have more time. I'd like to see how things go then and at the end of the Summer do another check. Then we'll see.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

In my opinion its way too soon to call retirement in RS. We've had RS for several years, and deserves a more room for the ebb and flow of the year. Second is that RS still has a large player base, and it may be that there are people out there or in here who are suited for leading the branch, not to mention that Kirandio just accepted Branch leader so many months ago, right about the time he started getting ready to move. Give it time...and see what happens.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Justice
Clan Member

You're right Ell. I left the in-game clan a while back to help some friends with another clan. I still pop in every time I'm on though. I've been meaning to rejoin but I keep forgetting and when I think about it no one is on. I don't have a lot of time but I'll help anyway I can. I still think there are a couple other Christian clans on rs. Maybe you could do some events with them until the branch is more active.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Ell

Some of you have shared your concerns with the post I made and I agree with them. I may have come off as inconsiderate or insensitive when I first posted. I don’t want to see the branch retired. I wanted to see improvements and my way of asking for it was done very poorly. I shouldn’t have brought it up. I want to extend a sincere apology to you all and all members of the branch.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Fair
Clan Member

}SoC{R3NNiS wrote:
In my opinion its way too soon to call retirement in RS. We've had RS for several years, and deserves a more room for the ebb and flow of the year.
Agreed! I know I will have more time in summer and may even be able to join u guys on teamspeak as I will not have to get up for work the next day! I still play a few times a week but due to the time difference I don't see many ppl online. Let's hang in there :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Lyfe

I play everyday almost, I left the rs branch due to inactivity. No one would come together and join in activities. So I move to a clan that does

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

}SoC{Lyfe wrote:
I play everyday almost, I left the rs branch due to inactivity. No one would come together and join in activities. So I move to a clan that does
It's not as simple as you might think. You can't make people participate in something and the smaller the size of the in-game clan the harder it is to get a good amount of attendance.
It's also difficult to plan events when you get virtually no feedback. If you don't come to an event you have to say why. If you have an event you want to do you should suggest it.
And you can always invite friends to the event, it's not like the clan is an exclusive club.
If you expect the leaders to do everything and just make assumptions then of course you aren't going to get what you want.
That being said if all you want is events then you need to give feedback and suggestions (as I said before).
You also have to remember that people have real life to deal with and a lot of time that takes priority (especially when it comes to school, jobs, and finances).

I think clan size is and always will be a big issue in runescape. many of the current structures in place for clans favor big clans. Many of the things that clans tend to do also seem to favor big clans.
That being said an individual is still only going to get out what they put into it. There is only so much the leaders can do, after that it's up to the clan members.
If the members do nothing, nothing happens. This can suggest that the leaders simply aren't doing a good job but I have really have no reason to believe that is the case.

All that being said I've never really felt like our clan was all about events. And considering the clan as a whole is far more than just runescape I've always felt like it was more important to simply be a community that establishes real and meaningful relationships with it's members. If events is really all people want out of the runescape branch, that can be arranged, however that does not mean events will happen every day or extremely consistently. People only have so much free time and more important things can always come up.

I may start a poll to see what people actually want out of the runescape branch, be it a place to hangout, people to talk to, people to do activities with, or whatever.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
11 posts Page 1 of 1