Steam Adds New Trading Feature

Discussion for Team Fortress 2
This is a Retired branch. Server information no longer applies, except member hosted servers dated 3/12 or later
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

Introducing Steam Trading Beta
posted by Shawn @ 09:21PM on August 09, 2011

As we all know, Jonas Salk invented money in 1955 so he would have a way to earn a living from his polio vaccine. Before that, people just traded things they found for things that other people had found. So you might "sell" somebody a scrap of carpet, say, in exchange for an old bottle. It was a perfect system with only one drawback: people spent their lives bartering for piles of garbage before dying of polio.

But wait. What if we told you that you could barter for things that weren't garbage, AND not die of polio? Steam Trading Beta lets you securely trade your in-game items for other in-game items from participating games. You can also trade Steam gifts (games on Steam that you've purchased but not yet added to your Games Library).

Want to try it out? In Steam, go to Steam > Settings, and opt into Steam Trading Beta. That's it! Now your Steam Community profile will have an item inventory, and you'll be able to view the item inventories of every public profile in the Steam community.

Now that you've opted into the Trading Beta, you can invite people to trade through Group Chat, and trade with anybody in your Friends List who's also opted in. Just right-click on their name and select "Invite to Trade" from the dropdown menu. Once your friend accepts your offer to trade, a trade window will open up. The first time you open the trade window, a step-by-step walkthrough will guide you through your first trade.

That's it! Opt in and get trading, or surf over to the Trading Beta FAQ for the nuts and bolts. And remember: Trading is still in beta, so don't forget to give us your feedback here on the Forums.

From the official team fortress 2 group. Bolded the part about trying it out.

I think it is a pretty cool feature considering I did this a few times befor eit was official (got a few good games out of it) and I have 4 extra gift copies of games.

Example "Inventory Button"

Example Inventory

Thoughts? Comments?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Goldfish-Boy
Guardian

ME LIKE!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Theta
Clan Member

That's awesome!! As long as people just don't go around trying to snoop in profiles...I get enough trade requests ingame when I wear my unusual towering pillar of hats that I almost don't want to wear it o.o haha

And any thoughts that I'd be able to get anything for Portal xD?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

}SoC{Theta wrote:
And any thoughts that I'd be able to get anything for Portal xD?
I doubt it but it could happen. There are so many people that already have portal and a ton that have an extra copy lying around. I'm not sure if any kind of "unofficial trading area" has popped up yet but if it ever does it will probably be easier. Last I heard most TF2 players didn't even know about this or care to figure out how it works. I think people are starting to get into it now.

It seems a new section has appeared on the steam forums. Wasn't easy to find:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/f ... php?f=1189

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Theta
Clan Member

Well I'll be! Yeah I figure Portal will get nothing. It's basically only good to give to someone so they can enable the standard chat and such features of Steam.

As a TF2 player I really don't care too much about it. If anything, the only good use of it, is to swap around the extra game copies you have, which more than likely those extra copies will cost 5$ tops? I could see this having been far more successful had it been released and publicized right prior to a huge summer/winter sale. Then would be prime time where people end up with extra copies I'd imagine.

However, if they created a way to trade your used games, that'd be pretty awesome!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
5 posts Page 1 of 1