Steam admins, ?HL2+CSS+DoD+TF2+L4D+Portal2+GM=Sanvich branch

Discussion for Team Fortress 2
This is a Retired branch. Server information no longer applies, except member hosted servers dated 3/12 or later
13 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

1- Along with Kyle, I've added several guardians to the officer status on SoC's Steam group. This allows you to create and edit group events, announcements, choose player of the week, administrate the Chatroom, and delete comments in the Comments section. All members are now given permission to add comments.

I've also removed officer status from people who haven't been on Steam for over 100 days. This keeps active officers at the top of the list. If you're a Guardian and want back on officer status, just send me a pm.

2- Back in February Zedd had an interesting proposal to make a "Steam branch", like the Xbox branch that covered many games.
I was looking at the XBL branch recently and it covers all XBL games, and I'm thinking that the community would be better served if the "TF2" branch became the "Steam" branch.
People who play TF2 are already jumping into whatever game they please, this would just be a way to make events and organize things, and get people informed en-masse as to what is being played on a particular day.

Thoughts?
It had some responses- mostly negative, and kinda got left on the wayside because there are thousands of games available on Steam and it seemed a bit too big an umbrella to manage. I'd like to revive his proposal, but with some changes to keep it focused and manageable. Similar to the Xbox branch (Xbox branch doesn't really cover all the Xbox games anyways) in that it could cover several games, but distinct in the sense that it would be impractical to include all games available on Steam. Rather than focussing on one game, like TF2, what if the branch evolved to include popular Valve Games.

As a start, the branch could cover
TF2
HL2: DM, CTF
CS:S
DoD:S
Portal 2 co-op
L4D series
Garry's Mod.

Some of these games we are able to provide a server for (CS, DoD, HL2, TF2, GM) If leadership were to organize polls, we could choose to run certain games & have a kind of rotation. Others games could be self hosted. It doesn't just have to be Valve & I don't think we need to be strict here- I think the way the branch could go is just based on some consensus of what games are played, and soem strategy of advertising SoC and holding events.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{GodsGameFreak
Guardian

Oooh, Steam Branch. Yes please!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

Unless we end up hosting servers for these games, the branch will die. For a branch to work, I think it needs some sort of constant place for the community to be (either our own hosted server or a specific server in an MMO).

In that list of games, I'd like to point out L4D and Portal 2 both have the issue of a small number of players per game. Also, it is typical for those who play such games to do so with friends and not randoms.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

Hosted server shouldn't be a problem for most of the games...We've hosted CS:S, TF2, and GM...though I think we would want to poll & rotate the games and see what works before we opened the field hosting all these at once. As it is I think (definitely not positive) our server could handle two, maybe 3 of these servers (based on the fact that we have had 3 TF2 servers going at once)

L4D & Portal 2 I don't think our server could host anyways, but the branch could still support something like what our Starcraft branch does- hold events where 1 person hosts & the others join. It might not work the way we expect it to...(might need to organize officers to help shoulder events for different games)...this might not work at all...but idk...I think its got potential...and there's nowhere to go but up. (FLW)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{GodsGameFreak
Guardian

I'd definitely be up for CS:S, as I actually have it. L4D2 I also have, and yeah would be better as a "hey, we're playing L4D2, come stop by and join a group" or something. Have an officer per group sorta thing. I don't have any of the other games though, so couldn't say.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{ZEDD
Clan Member

I think a lot of people in SoC own BFBC2, CS:S and TF2. For the smaller games such as Killing floor/L4D1-2/Portal there are free servers that we can just invade, If you have a massive amount of member's online you can play a larger game, or even fill two different servers in one of those smaller games.

I think it would just be a way to bring everyone in SoC together more, rather than people in SoC who are closer friends.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Crumpt
Clan Member

do we need to go over why CSS wont work again

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

Enlighten us why including CSS in a mix would be a bad idea

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

Just reposting what I said in the meeting, I don't think CS:S would work because of the niche CS:S fills in the game as a Christian clan.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kyle
Teamspeak Admin

}SoC{Kaz wrote:
Just reposting what I said in the meeting, I don't think CS:S would work because of the niche CC fills in the game as a Christian clan.
Fixed'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

^ Thank you D:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

Fills a niche, but CC is a Christian only clan, and I think they have and age req...(not sure) We're kind of close to them, so it could be a plus in that it is built in friends- maybe kids of, or younger siblings of CC members.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Crumpt
Clan Member

last time(s) we tried CSS everyone (all four CSS players in SoC and I think there are fewer now) just kept playing on the CC servers

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
13 posts Page 1 of 1