HURR DURR VALVE

Discussion for Team Fortress 2
This is a Retired branch. Server information no longer applies, except member hosted servers dated 3/12 or later
27 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1

"Probably not a big deal, but..."

Actually, it is a big deal. $20 for hats? No.

Just no.

Apparently the polycount update (err, expansion pack...) will be $50.

No.

Just

no.

Way to go, Valve. :|

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Crumpt
Clan Member

dont know what to add since literally every single person on my friends list has messaged me today asking how mad i was.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Blind1
Guardian Elder

rage quit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Unity8
Clan Member

Wait you can pay and get all the hats? Thats kinda blah if you ask me!

Sorry the link won't work for me for some reason. :0

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Lazer
Clan Council

There's no way to get them all guaranteed, because they're random drops, and the chances are low. People have been complaining that their friends can wear pixels, and they can't, so now Valve will sell those pixels to you. That's all they are, pixels. They won't make you any better or worse, because they don't actually effect gameplay.

I'm not saying I don't like the hats, because I enjoy laughing at the ones I do have. However, I don't think they're so awesome that people would spend money on them. : /

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Brian1.8
Guardian

I leave for a few months and this is what happens....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

}SoC{Lazer wrote:
There's no way to get them all guaranteed, because they're random drops, and the chances are low. People have been complaining that their friends can wear pixels, and they can't, so now Valve will sell those pixels to you. That's all they are, pixels. They won't make you any better or worse, because they don't actually effect gameplay.

I'm not saying I don't like the hats, because I enjoy laughing at the ones I do have. However, I don't think they're so awesome that people would spend money on them. : /
Some of them DO give bonuses though. If you wear the hat that comes out with all the new unlocks then you get a set bonus.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Unity8
Clan Member

Here will be the next hat.
FAIL.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

We could always slap valve with the Holy Mackerel...Who would like to do the honors?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

Honestly, Valve seems quite content destroying anything that had to do with how the game was at launch...TF2 started off as a TEAM oriented FPS with a unique art-style and amazingly balanced gameplay. People are more focused on hats, crafting, and trading than the actual game (also, you can buy a DUELING minigame to "show off your skills in one on one"....wat) Now they're taking the uniqueness of the attitude of the game (funny, but not like a childrens cartoon stupidity funny) and reversing it. Hitting someone with a fish? Wearing a plunger as a hat? Throwing PEE at an enemy for damage bonuses? What happened Valve? Also, the polycount pack (less content than the game at launch mind you) is going to be $135 once this sale ends. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? With each drop item they added, they've made getting the unlocks you don't take long amounts of time, now throw in all these new drops it'll be near impossible to get everything from this pack on drops alone. It wouldn't be as bad if these hats didn't add bonuses with a set of items BUT THEY DO. I'm seriously just dumbfounded at Valve's logic on this...With every new thing Valve does, they shoot up their once amazing reputation even more. And people are buying into this :| "Oh, Valve needs to make money on TF2. You don't have to pay!"

http://www.1up.com/news/valve-keeping-d ... ntent-free

So now Valve has proved, once again, they're not the same. They're lying to us like they did with L4D/L4D2 and they're going to get away with it.

/superangryrant

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

Since everyone is busy raging and not giving any sort of solution other than "Make the game the way it used to be", I thought I would make more of a serious post with some suggestion.

First off I am going to state that yes it is ridiculous that they charge huge amounts of money for virtual items, even if you can get them for free (although it could take years), and yes everyone is obsessed with trading, crafting, etc....

But lets face it, the fans of the game asked for it. I understand that "you" may not have wanted an item store but apparently a lot of other "fans" did. Also the giant obsession with trading and crafting is nothing new. Every time valve releases a new update this occurs. People become obsessed with using the new items and/or the class that was updated. People also focus on crafting these new items. Eventually however people either grow bored of these things because they have received them all or it has simply become a more "normal" part of the gameplay.

So does that give us any hope? Sure. Clearly the fans have power. In fact the fans have always had power. This just means that the fans who don't like the store need to be more vocal in offering a solution and not just raging and demanding the removal of the store.

So here are some possible solutions:
-Allow for individual weapons to be "blocked" from use in a server.
-Block all non-release content from a server
-Allow purchased items to be blocked from use in a server.

All of these things would be manually applied so those of us who "dislike" some of valves newer updates wouldn't actually have to deal with them.

I also believe another problem is that people take the game far to seriously. I mean it's a game. It's supposed to be fun, relaxing, leisurely. I understand that an imbalance can take away from that but think about it this way. Lets say valve has about 300 people who test new items/updates to see if they are balanced or not. Even if those 300 people find it balanced, the community of the game probably won't. This can be attributed to 2 things. 1. The size of the testing population vs the size of the official release population and 2. Everyone does not have these weapons once they are officially released.
When you change the size of a population for anything the results are likely to vary. But lets looked at all the past updates. they were tweaked, more people acquired the weapons and the game slowly began to become balanced again. It will probably never be perfectly balanced again but it will at least get closer.

Now lets address the "You have all the items and I don't because you are rich and I'm not" problem. THAT IS THE WAY THE REAL WORLD WORKS. Some people work for everything they have and some people get it handed to them because their mommy or their daddy is rich. But generally the people who work for it have more skill and so can do better. So if you 'earn" your unlocks then you should be better than the people who bought them. If that's not enough the gaming world is never fair, has never been fair and never will be fair and is easily corrupted by greed.

But is valve really greedy? Every Christmas they offer you amazing prices on games you have wanted for years, have shipped you free updates for years and continue to make amazing games. Yes the prices of these items are ridiculous and yes they do make a difference in gameplay, but I highly doubt it will have a huge impact long term. (Not to say that valve is without fault, after all no one is perfect).

So now that I've gone on my "STOP TAKING TEAM FORTRESS 2 SO SERIOUSLY" rant I'll do something more meaningful.

Clearly the community of tf2 is dividing and clearly this is a time of hurt, frustration and anger for a lot of people. So here is what I ask, Who are we? Are we individual gamers who thrive on our enjoyment of games and trust in gaming companies? Or are we the Soldiers of Christ? Are we going to join everyone else in raging and accomplishing nothing? Or are we going to try and show God's love through gaming like we claim we are here to do?

If we are Soldiers of Christ and we are going to show God's love through gaming then lets take a minute to calm down and look on the bright side. The game we know and love still exists. It's still playable and it's still enjoyable. Why not remind others of that? And let's not forget that everything happens for a reason. Even if you believe Valve has betrayed you, God has not. God will never betray you. So let's ask God what he is doing here, not Valve.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Kaz
Clan Member

Don't take my post like my opinion is the only right one. I was just voicing my opinion of the update. I think it's dumb, but the majority don't apparently so they can have it.

*EDIT* If this makes sense, (to sort of help you understand what I mean) consider this like a band selling out. I liked Valve as a company because they didn't do stuff like this, which is why it bothers me they're changing like this.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

I wasn't really targeting you personally Kaz, but I do understand what you mean. I can sympathize with both sides of this 'update war".

As long as this doesn't affect our general goal and attitude while playing the game then I say rage all you like, just don't get anyone killed over it. :mrgreen:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Mouspd
Guardian

i haven't played TF2 in a long time. the updates kept throwing everything off, and i don't have the time to figure out the new unlocks, or even to earn them. i was hoping valve would eventually balance the game back out again so those of us who don't have bookoos of time to sink into a video game could enjoy it (like it was at the start, and with the first few updates), but that's never happened, and it seems never will so long as TF2 is still any sort of popular.

oh well. i got TF2 cheap, and got more than enough playtime out of it before valve screwed the game over.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Taker
Clan Member

Well the updates do add replay value to the game so that is one good thing. However, it also causes people to want to craft and trade instead of play but only when the update first comes out. As long as none of the new weapons are too unbalanced then overall I kinda like the updates because like i said before they add replay value and add something new to go after.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Goldfish-Boy
Guardian

Here my solution for all you people you don't like the new shop:

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!
:laughhard:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Arrow
Clan Council

}SoC{GoldFish-Boy wrote:

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Give this man a medal..wait nevermind it costs to much.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Unity8
Clan Member

I might pay a cent for a hat but then agian...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Goldfish-Boy
Guardian

}SoC{Arrow wrote:
}SoC{GoldFish-Boy wrote:

DON'T BUY ANYTHING!

Give this man a medal..wait nevermind it costs to much.
Cheap skate.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Reddy
Clan Member

zomg we hate valve!!! Haha, just kidding. Honestly, I couldn't care less about this new Mannco Store. I think it's good that Valve will please the higher ups with some money flow so that we can still get free games. As far as the upgrades go for each weapon set...they're fairly balanced, they have their ups and downs and if you use one you are foregoing a lot of other weapon choices that do different things. Also, the new weapons are awesome, they give power to the people, modders making add ons to their favorite game is simply amazing! Otherwise the game would get stagnant. I didn't play for a long time after I first got it because I thought it was boring. Later I got back into it and the new weapons only added to the excitement and game variability. Take for example the XboxLive version, there are maybe a total of 300 people playing that at any given time. Compare that to the amount of players playing the PC version...big difference.

ps - Hey guys, long time no see! I'll see you on the Valve server for sure!

-Reddy

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Unity8
Clan Member

^ Your name looks/sounds familiar! Welcome back. :P

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Jace
Clan Member

but, what will i idle for now? VALVE PLEASE MAKE NEW SHOES FOR CLASSES AND T-SHIRTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Goldfish-Boy
Guardian

/\ Lol. :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Lazer
Clan Council

}SoC{Jace wrote:
but, what will i idle for now? VALVE PLEASE MAKE NEW SHOES FOR CLASSES AND T-SHIRTS
Don't give them any ideas...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kyle
Teamspeak Admin

They've already done the damage. They may as well turn it into a Barbie dress up game.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Unity8
Clan Member

I wonder what kind of emails they get? cause it seems like everyone I know does not like what they are doing, so why are they doing it :|

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Goldfish-Boy
Guardian

Because Saxon Hale can do anything. :P

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links