Ways to minister in Starcraft

Discussion of all things related to the Starcraft game series. Battlenet Forum Thread

Moderators: }SoC{KIdD, }SoC{GLO

4 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
JoeXB

Our organization is geared towards getting Christians to minister in their game worlds. That of course requires that there are "ways" to do so. Since I have am only vaguely familiar with the Starcraft universe, and have limited time to evaluate it, can you bottom-line for me these general criteria of the game world? And clue me in if one variation is more conducive then the others.

Thank you.

1) Does the universe persist after you log off or end a battle?

2) Are there ways to socially interact outside of skirmishes with either clan or non-clan members?

3) If so, can the interaction be game-related, i.e. something to do besides battles? Or is the interaction purely real-world related like chat channels for pre- and post-match banter, etc.?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Ortick
Guardian

Well let me do my best to answer your questions

1) the universe does not persist after you log off or end a battle, except for your points in regards to the ladder (your ranking among other players essentially) the biggest universe persistence is patches.

2) Yes there is a fully functional chat system which you can use by adding people (who don't need to add you to show up on your friends list) and you can open a chat window and even if they're in game they will see your messages. you also can have clans (Just a note however blizzard does not allow religious references in ANY clan name, but there are ways to get around this), and clans can have chats, you can also start group chat channels for even non-clan members, but if someone is in game I don't believe they will see those messages though I'm not 100% (Also to make a channel just type in the name under the channels name and click join and it will make your channel) so for example, you're in a game bam you get talking guy is interested in chatting more and with more people; tell him to join the (For example) minmmo chat channel and everyone in that channel can all chat with each other, or if he just wants to talk to you add him and open a chat and just talk away (which you can both to in seperate sc games, though keeping more than one of those up could become hard while playing xD).

3) I'm not 100% what you're asking but I'll take a jab at it. You can talk during the game through the in-game chat (just by hitting hitting shift+enter to get to all chat). Now can all you do is battle? No, starcraft has SO MANY custom games, remember this is the company that made the game that spawned the custom game that made MOBA's :P and let's say you have a guy who's bored just talking, you guys could find something casualish to talk and play something fun in the custom games. Custom games also have their own players, so sometimes maybe just playing a custom game to get to a different type of player could do well for you.

Anyway, hope this helped
God bless!
-Ortick :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JoeXB

Thanks for the feedback, }SoC{Ortick.

Question 3 was asking about stuff like in-game market places for buying/selling/trading, perhaps training opportunities, random walkabouts to meet strangers, leaving messages in the environment that persist while your gone, etc.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Ortick
Guardian

Ah no, starcraft 2 isnt a game where you can go out and do things like an mmo. You can't really minister to multiple people unless you're in a team battle and even then you only max out talking to 7 people at a time (there may be more spaces in custom games if I remember correctly) and leaving messages I don't believe is possible. You can message in a large chat channel but it would probably get buried under the other messages. To minister in SC2 I think we should think up ways to minister which cater to starcraft/RTSes rather than MMOs I thimk we'll have better success playing to the strengths of SC2 rather than the strengths of MMOs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
4 posts Page 1 of 1