Hotkeying

Discussion of all things related to the Starcraft game series. Battlenet Forum Thread

Moderators: }SoC{KIdD, }SoC{GLO

16 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

Many people who play starcraft think hotkeys are overrated, and I am going to argue why not and give advice on some hotkey setups.

Now, if you're in a battle and you're trying to micro your units (control them better than the A.I. controls them with the attack button), and you need to keep producing units back at your main base to make sure you don't rune out, would you prefer going over to your factories or gateways or whatever and going down and clicking "build tank" or "build zealot" or something? Or would you prefer to quickly press "5t6t7t8t" and create four tanks or "4d5d6z6z" and create two tanks to zealots? Or in the beginning if you're playing zerg, would you prefer to click on your hatchery and type "sd" or click on your hatchery and click on the select larva option then click on make drone? This is why hotkeys own :D

So when playing a game, you may want to think about hotkeying all the things you can. Learn all the hotkeys that you will need in a game, and practice using those. At first, you may have to keep checking the hotkeys, but it eventually ends up paying off.

Now for actually hotkeying things... To hotkey a building, select the wanted building and press ctrl and then what number you want it hotkeyed to. Hotkeying units is the same. To find out the hotkey of a probe or something, go to the building where that unit is made at and move your mouse over the "build probe" option. The highlighted letter (in this case, "p") is the hotkey for it. This is the same with everything, drones are selecting a hatchery and pressing "sd" ("s" for select larva, "d" for spawn drone).
Zerg usually hotkey their first hatchery 3, then even one after that 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0. This way if they need to make units, then can quickly press 3sh4sh5sz6sz7su8su9sf0so or something and make up to 6 hydras, 12 zerglings, 6 ultras, 3 defilers, and 3 overlords. The hotkeys 1 and 2 are used for the actual zerg army. In a battle, you can just type 1a2a instead of having to deal with selecting all your units by clicking and dragging, clicking attack, and then pressing where you want to go.

Terran usually hotkey their army to 1 and 2, scanners to 0, 9, and 8, and then 3-7 they use for factories, command centers, and all that other stuff.

Protoss, like Zerg and Terran, use 1 and 2 for their army, 3-0 for nexi, gateways, and stargates.

More hotkeys will be added soon....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Swarm
Guardian Elder

Great post Soroy!

It may take time and make us slower at first to use hotkeys, but when we use them several games in a row, then we get more used to it, and we are much faster!

Swarm

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

Yeah, hotkeying starts out slow like most other things with new games (sniping in halo, learning the buildings/tech trees of starcraft, etc), but after just playing using them or practicing them, you get good. But after you learn them, it is definitely worth it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{MadCat
Clan Member

I always use hotkeys!!!
they pwn
especially in Cat v Mouse lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Swarm
Guardian Elder

MadCat wrote:
I always use hotkeys!!!
they pwn
especially in Cat v Mouse lol
LOL

"b"
"p"
"b"
"p"
"b"
"p"
"b"
"p"

*get eaten by cat*
*start over*

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

LOL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{General-Gouda
Guardian Elder

So do you guys use your mouse to move the screen or do you use the arrow keys?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{S-043
Guardian

I use the arrow keys for movement.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{MadCat
Clan Member

keep right hand on mouse, left on keyboard to hotkey
bp - pylon
bc - photon cannon
ba - assimilator (sp?)
that's all I need

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

}SoC{S-043 wrote:
Actually, I've seen alot of pros doing that every now and then... personally, I'm used to using the mouse, but a combination of them is prolly better... either way, that is a good habit to get into :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{General-Gouda
Guardian Elder

I tried playing last night with a trackpad on my laptop...boy did that suck...

Can't play without a mouse...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{S-043
Guardian

}SoC{Soroy wrote:
}SoC{S-043 wrote:
Actually, I've seen alot of pros doing that every now and then... personally, I'm used to using the mouse, but a combination of them is prolly better... either way, that is a good habit to get into :D
I actually always used the arrow keys for movement, in every RTS I play actually, except from looking at one part of the map and moving to the other side, I just click on the mimi-map for that.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

}SoC{S-043 wrote:
}SoC{Soroy wrote:
}SoC{S-043 wrote:
I actually always used the arrow keys for movement, in every RTS I play actually, except from looking at one part of the map and moving to the other side, I just click on the mimi-map for that.
That may still be better, idk... but it still is a good habit to get into as you don't have to keep moving your mouse to the side of the screen then back

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

}SoC{General-Gouda wrote:
I tried playing last night with a trackpad on my laptop...boy did that suck...

Can't play without a mouse...
lol, I've pretty much never been able to play w/o a mouse either :P
I doubt many people could, don't feel bad lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{General-Gouda
Guardian Elder

So I played last night and I found that while I consciously started to use hotkeys I kept on going back to the arrow keys for moving around. While I was using the hotkeys I would use the mouse for moving the screen. Seems to work for me. I still need to get used to hotkeying buildings and using them to build stuff while I'm not focused on them.

Playing against the computer is pretty good practice since I haven't played in so long. Stupid thing zergling rushed me with 6 zerglings before I could get one zealot ready. I lured them all off with a probe and got a zealot out before they killed it and came back! :-P

I was also looking through this website yesterday and it really opened my eyes to a few things.

http://classic.battle.net/scc/GS/

Namely, I had NO idea you could Queue commands! It makes map scouting a lot easier. It also makes control over workers easier. Tell them to Build here then return to base and gather. Very nice. I just need some practice with it in combat and I'll be good.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{Soroy
Guardian

Thats a good website, and yeah, queuing commands helps ALOT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML: