Well, this could be a problem

The Fight Has only Begun!
This is a Retired branch. Server information no longer applies, except member hosted servers dated 3/12 or later
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{BrownSound
Guardian Elder

A problem for those who may want to do a throwback night.
http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/12/07/2250252/

Sidenote: Halo 2 and Halo 1 Pc still works for those who want their pc fix of halo at this time. The only game that is affected by this is Halo 1
Otherwise, you can join us on the XBL side of things.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{1-Bar
Guardian Elder

I'm confuzzled. Has H:CE been wacked from online multi or is it a possibility at this point? Not that it's going to matter before long since we just canceled our non existent internet...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Tali
Teamspeak Admin

Since Halo: CE uses Gamespy servers it'll likely happen, if it hasn't already. Gamespy was recently acquired by Glu Mobile and it's actually them who are deciding to shut the servers down because they can't afford to run the software. Apparently it would cost some developers tens of thousands of pounds (which is even more tens of thousands of dollars) to host per year, and most don't want to fork over that money apparently :P

It's also not just Halo being affected. Games like Neverwinter Nights, Sniper Elite, and Star Wars: Battlefront are having their servers shut down. However, with some games you can still connect to a server if you know the direct IP.

Finally, if you really want to play Halo on the computer, Halo: Custom Edition is an option. As far as I know, their servers do not use Gamespy and are thus unaffected by this. I can't speak for the quality of it though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
}SoC{BrownSound
Guardian Elder

}SoC{1-Bar wrote:
I'm confuzzled. Has H:CE been wacked from online multi or is it a possibility at this point? Not that it's going to matter before long since we just canceled our non existent internet...
I should have rephrased my original post.

Currently at this very point in time, the Halo PC servers are still up (I tested this eariler today). However, since Glu is pulling the plug on several legacy games that run on Gamespy's system, there is a possibility (or maybe certainty) that the Halo PC servers will have to follow suit. I don't know if the direct IP method will work, since the servers are still up, but we'll see when Glu pulls the plug.

So to summarize, here are what the servers look like at this time:

Halo 1 PC: Running (and may be discontinued in the future depending on what Glu does)
Halo 2 PC: Running
Halo 2 XBL: Discontinued
Halo 3: Running
Halo: Reach: Running
Halo 4: Running

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{1-Bar
Guardian Elder

Gotcha. Gonna be some mad rocket nOObs and us zombie players..............

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links
5 posts Page 1 of 1