Running empty servers

The Fight Has only Begun!
This is a Retired branch. Server information no longer applies, except member hosted servers dated 3/12 or later
18 posts Page 1 of 1

Topic author
}SoC{Muzzle
Clan Member

I know I don't pop in here alot. Halo is pretty much dead in SoC from the looks of it...

My question is why do we continue to waste money running servers that have been empty for 95% of the time over the past two years. I always see posts in here about "we need more Halo players..." and nothing ever comes of it. It seems like we could be using the servers on more popular games such as more servers on Minecraft, TF2, or Lord of the Rings online. I'm getting about to the point where I am going to be done with Halo, and I'm not sure how much longer it is going to last. Recently it has degenerated into Mexicans shouting cuss words in Spanish in some servers, heavy weapons, and zombies. All the classic gametypes have either infinite nades or are filled with aimbotters. I find myself playing Custom Edition more and more. Race in Halo is still going good (TDR, BFM, etc.), but that does me no good because I'm banned on all those servers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

B-Rye

halo...halo...hmmm... I think I played that game when I was a kid... like 11 years ago or something. people still play that?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

Our Halo server had a pulse decent enough to continue it, up until this last Spring that is. TF2 was also pretty dead, and we were hoping for a revival of sorts with the game going free to play, but that hasn't exactly happened. Because of the decline and that it appears that the Minecraft server we are attempting needs more resources, we announced yesterday to Branch leaders that we are discontinuing both TF2 and Halo as permanently hosted servers. THis will be posted as an announcement to everyone once we get response from the Branch leaderships.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{RT4G
Clan Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO And I was gonna play Halo someday. D:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Tali
Teamspeak Admin

Recently it has degenerated into Mexicans shouting cuss words in Spanish in some servers, heavy weapons, and zombies. All the classic gametypes have either infinite nades or are filled with aimbotters.
I'm just going to disagree with this statement and explain why. I get back on topic after the next quoted section.

In the latest version this is partly true. Yeah, there are four dedicated zombie servers that are nearly constantly full. Yes, most other popular servers have infinite grenades or heavy weapons. But there are probably six or seven servers that have regular map rotations with the classic gametypes. I can only play on two of these (ping issues or I got banned out of the blue for whatever reason). Then there are three or four sniping servers. Then there's KNFR, but most people there are annoying or plain out rude.

On the aimbotting part, I disagree. Most people still don't bot. Sure there are a good amount, when compared to a few months ago, but most fail so bad at it you can't even notice they do. Those who do bot where it's noticeable are very few. And maybe it's just me, but it's kind of amusing to beat them even when they're cheating :P A lot of people who play on the servers with normal rotations though are older players who are relatively good.

Also, I haven't done it yet, but I've been told there are some good servers in 1.04 still up. You'll have to use goemitar's version changer for that, however.
My question is why do we continue to waste money running servers that have been empty for 95% of the time over the past two years.
As Rennis said, it's only been since this year, really. Last year we still had decent enough activity going on. But around the end of last year and the beginning of this year Halo in general took a huge dip in player-base. It isn't just with our servers. I thought Lazer said he was going to try and get a zombie server set up for SoC, but he's probably really busy and that won't happen.

If the servers don't pick up (they probably won't) then they will probably get dropped. At least I'd imagine so. We shouldn't pay for something that isn't getting used for nearly a whole year. Instead we should use the money elsewhere :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Lazer
Clan Council

I am still looking into that, but I don't have enough coding experience to make it an expedient process, so a lot of it is trial and error right now. : /

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Kendra
Clan Member

i don't even play, but it is melancholic to see your roots (halo) go away.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{1-Bar
Guardian Elder

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the servers are run from one box yes? They're basically programs running on a drive somewhere? So removing a program from a drive isn't going to really accomplish anything other than freeing up space on said drive for another game, right? And if that's the case, axing the Halo servers isn't going to free up money if we're paying a flat rate for hosting. Now if we paid according to bandwidth used (!) that might be one thing, but I doubt that's the case seeing how much is paid monthly for the server.

I'd really hate to see the last Halo server go, since it's the only game I play with you guys, and our server(s) are (for the time being) a port in the storm, as it were. I know that's probably selfish, but I won't lie, if the last Halo server goes, I may quit gaming online all together.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Tali
Teamspeak Admin

^ If that's how it's paid then there isn't any reason to get rid of it. But if the servers are paid individually then it might be different. Of course, the question is also, can we afford it and do we want to keep many of our members roots up in that case? Maybe Rennis or someone can clarify how the servers are actually paid for.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{R3NNiS
Guardian Elder

The games are on a box that we pay a flat rate for. The server runs our Teamspeak as well as the games, and a webserver for Daemon controls. These programs use memory, and the box, while sufficient in terms of bandwidth, it is low on memory by today's standards. We have looked in to upgrading the box, and are waiting to hear back from Fish (our provider) Meanwhile we are limited on funds- not the balance we've had in years past, and cannot afford to add a separate server just for minecraft.

Donations are welcome...and we talked a month or two ago about T-shirts which could help us with funding. Jan was getting details about T-shirts.

We will not be deleting the games, but keeping them available, by request, in advance. Priority is being given to Minecraft because this branch is [the most] active and, we believe will use the server.

Also, as always, guardians may host their own public server, and members: a private server. If this is implemented we can create an index of member-hosted servers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Tali
Teamspeak Admin

Cool, thank you for the clarification :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{SBLeader
Clan Council

Halo... :teardrop: Can we host one last event before it goes?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{RT4G
Clan Member

How do you guys make money?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Lazer
Clan Council

}SoC{RT4G wrote:
I believe purely donations.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{RT4G
Clan Member

}SoC{Lazer wrote:
}SoC{RT4G wrote:
I believe purely donations.
ah i seee

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{1-Bar
Guardian Elder

}SoC{R3NNiS wrote:
The games are on a box that we pay a flat rate for. The server runs our Teamspeak as well as the games, and a webserver for Daemon controls. These programs use memory, and the box, while sufficient in terms of bandwidth, it is low on memory by today's standards. We have looked in to upgrading the box, and are waiting to hear back from Fish (our provider) Meanwhile we are limited on funds- not the balance we've had in years past, and cannot afford to add a separate server just for minecraft.

Donations are welcome...and we talked a month or two ago about T-shirts which could help us with funding. Jan was getting details about T-shirts.

We will not be deleting the games, but keeping them available, by request, in advance. Priority is being given to Minecraft because this branch is [the most] active and, we believe will use the server.

Also, as always, guardians may host their own public server, and members: a private server. If this is implemented we can create an index of member-hosted servers.
Hey I'm all for this if it saves memory etc. So is there a thread or something on hosting a server? Would it be on SoC's box if we did that?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

}SoC{Mator
Clan Member

Cool.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links